Thursday 23 August 2012

Conventional is a good fallback position isn’t it?

Taking a risk needn’t always be a nightmare
 Having previously worked at a very prestigious university in Cape Town some time back, I realised that the environment was very conducive to becoming exceptionally conventional, a very comfortable position to be in. Everything operated like clockwork which was heavenly, except that as I grew older heaven turned into hell as I saw my growth being stunted and my career options quickly narrowing.

I took stock of my life; concluding that as long as I worked there I would have to contend with being exceptional in a very conventional environment. I risked it all, breaking the mould, leaving my comfort zone. Plunging head first into an industry I had previously enjoyed, it quickly turned out not to be what I had expected i.e. a nightmare. As the honeymoon phase drew to a close, the deplorable working condition was eventually the straw that broke the camel’s back. I left.

The moral of the story is, rather take a risk, but don’t ever settle for being conventional. Maybe the risk doesn’t turn out the way you had hoped, but at least you ventured out of your comfort zone. In life rather experience the nightmare of disappointment (once, twice or even thrice), and have learnt from it, rather than merely achieving the conventional when you know you’re capable of more … and then have to live with it for the rest of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment