Monday 5 November 2012

A favourite (family) past time

What could be better than nothing but nature?
  Camping is probably one of my families most treasured past times. As a child, my parents weren’t particularly keen on the outdoors life, largely due to the fact that I think my father was scared of creepy crawlies, therefore family holidays were almost always confined to hotel rooms.

As a result, I promised myself that camping would become a part of our future family holidays. I am fortunate to have a wife who is super enthusiastic about camping for us both the whole camping experience embodies the total freedom to just relax. It allows us the opportunity to interact with nature (fishing and the exploration of the world around you) and best of all not being confined to a hotel room.  Attached to the freedom, our best memories centre on the camp fire, the ability to run and walk bare feet, and shedding the pressures and pretences imposed by city life.

We’re extremely fortunate in the Western Cape to be spoilt with a variety of camping options including the bare bones solitary camping experience or the more deluxe communal experience. Let it be said, camping isn’t for everyone, but given the chance it does tend to grow on one. I am thankful for all the times that my family and I have had to go camping, and I cannot wait for the next time that we can pack the car, load up everyone and hit the road. What can I say, camping IS our primitive little break from the norm and where memories are made.

No comments:

Post a Comment