Tuesday 17 July 2012

Have you done anything lately worth remembering?


Its a "Maree" Family affair

  I don’t consider myself an adventurous person, but recently my wife convinced me to do something out of character. On a recent holiday we returned to a town we’d fallen in love with on a previous trip to the Southern Cape. The Crags which is 15 minutes outside Plett is a real gem and one of those dorpies that if you blink to long you’d drive past it.

On our arrival we made a bee line to the Lawnwood Snake Sanctuary where the adventure begins. As someone who is poep scared of reptiles, never in my wildest dreams did I think I’d visit a snake sanctuary let alone re-visit one. Needless to say, being around my wife, mom and nephew, I couldn’t be seen to be scared, handling all sorts of reptiles. Drum roll please. This all changed when we were introduced to Stephie.

Stephie ladies and gents is a 20kg albino Burmese Python, who IF she wanted to, could tuck into me as her Sunday lunch, no questions asked. Hatching a plan, I invited my whole family to join in holding Stephie; just in case she got any ideas, she’d have a smorgasbord of human to choose from. Fortunately she wasn’t in the mood.


Look Ma ...

The odd thing about having a 20kg writhing ‘handbag’ around my neck was I secretly thought to myself “Look Ma, I’m like Britney Spears”. Fortunately my wife was near quelling any desire to gyrate just like ol’ trailer trash Britney (lol). While walking back to the car and after the whole snake ordeal I caught myself asking the question. Was I more ashamed of (1) being scared holding a relatively docile python (around my neck) or (2) likening myself to Britney spears, wanting to do a quick jiggie (with a python around my neck)?

Who cares, and whichever it was, the Lawnwood Sanctuary and the whole of the Southern Cape is a treasure trove of beauty and sheer fun. Do yourself a favour, pack the car and go there, it’ll be a holiday filled with experiences that you as I’ll be hard pressed to ever forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment