Wednesday 25 July 2012

Time or money?

Some memories money can't buy.
  Money is fleeting, here today gone tomorrow. So my answer would have to be Time. Inevitably the more you earn, the more you spend and there’ll simply never be enough of it. Whereas time is far more precious; how many times haven’t we wished for a few more minutes to lie in bed, hug a loved one or admire a beautiful sunset?

We’ve all become so obsessed with making money that we’ve lost the concept of spending quality time in a qualitative manner. There isn’t anything wrong working hard (and earning more), but one needs to strike a healthy balance between the desire to grow one's riches and the sacrifices one makes in pursuit thereof. My father was a perfect example of someone who strove to work as hard as possible to earn as much as he could so that he could give his family a comfortable life. As a child it was wonderful growing up and not wanting for anything, and I am eternally thankful to him, but as I grew older I soon realised that for all the toys he bought me meant little, because at the end of the day I still had no dad to show for it.

As a 35 year old male, and father (in waiting) I often catch myself thinking how different I could have been as a man had I had a relationship with my father. In hindsight, I would trade every single toy I ever had to have known and to have spent time with him. At the end of the day, what good did a healthy bank balance do for any of us, when all that we ever wanted was his time = love.

No comments:

Post a Comment