Tuesday 11 September 2012

Why I have conversations?

No man is an island unto himself ...
  I have conversations so that I feel less alone. Sometimes I even catch myself having conversations with myself and even my cat. So what? Daily I withdraw from the world to a quiet space to converse with God, and then of course I also love conversing with my friend - my wife.

A cornerstone to human existence is human interaction. According to Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs it is this inherent craving to belong that we are drawn to social groups and other human relationships. Further to this, the Bible states that “No man is an island unto himself …” Romans 9:18. Very loosely interpreted it means that NO man can exist and be happy on his own; man needs more than just himself to survive. Each person derives something different from conversation to another; this is what makes us so unique. My daily conversations are vital because it centres me before the start of every new day.

Moral of the story: Why would anyone choose to be alone and live a life devoid of a valuable fulfilling conversation? Why not today spark up a conversation with a stranger and see where it takes you.

No comments:

Post a Comment