Tuesday 2 October 2012

What has empty fear stopped you from doing?

Just what the doctor ordered
  The answer is simple; bungee jumping. For some reason I always figured bungee jumping being the preferred sport of the mentally insane, until I actually tried it. I don’t have an innate fear of heights, well at least not that I was aware of, but the fear of bungee jumping I could never quite put my finger on, and was thus classified an empty fear; having no substance or foundation in my life.

So in 2005 I decided against all odds to take drive myself to just Mossel Bay and jump off the Gouritz River Bridge, to experience the madness, and hopefully get to the root of the fear. After a 4 hour road trip and 4 speeding fines later, I stood on the edge overlooking the Gouritz River trickling beneath me, and in that split second, I realized that empty fear has NO hold over me or my life; and in that I leapt. By the Grace of God, am I able to tell this story; the sheer exhilaration is addictive and know I understand the insanity, BUT it is not something I will ever do again. Instead my next my mission is to conquer my rational fear of being in a propeller airplane in an irrational (adrenalin fueled) manner - Sky Diving.

No comments:

Post a Comment