Thursday 18 October 2012

What irks me most about the modern day South African striker?


Where will it end?

  Post apartheid South Africa has a long history of service sector strikes, largely as a result of wage disputes, impoverished working conditions etc. Like myself there are many South Africans that sympathise with those workers, especially when they go on strike for a better wage or improved working conditions.

HOWEVER, when those very same strikers embark on a hostile pursuit for better wages and working conditions, endangering civilian lives in the process, then I lose any sympathy for their plight. In fact my blood boils, and sympathy turns into riotous support for the police and their use of force to subdue the hostile strikers. Who has given these strikers the right to harm (or kill) anyone in their pursuit for a better way of life? In my mind, they’re no better than the gangster on the Cape Flats who robs and kills for his own selfish purpose. This abhorrent mentality cannot be blamed on the age old scapegoat, apartheid. I personally blame the greedy unions and the blasé attitudes of the bigwigs who own the mines (politicians included) who have allowed this mob mentality to spiral out of control. I actually shudder at the thought of what they’ll do the next time they go on strike.

No comments:

Post a Comment